COUNTDOWN TO MOVING DAY – CHECKLIST
When you’re planning for a move, keep in mind that almost everything will take longer to do than you expect. The best way to keep on track is to plan ahead and stay organized. This guide is filled with helpful resources so you can do moreâand save more.
Eight weeks before
- Line up movers.
- Look into truck rental prices if you’re doing the move yourself.
- Make an inventory, with photographs, of everything you own.
- Decide what goes in the truck, car or trash.
- Consider where you want to place furniture in
- your new home.
Six weeks before
- Clear out your closets. Be ruthless!
- Have a yard sale.
- Transfer your children’s academic records to their new school.
- Transfer medical records to your new doctor.
Four weeks before
- Confirm booking with your moving company.
- Reserve a truck or trailer for a DIY move.
- Arrange to have the movers come over two days before moving day if they’re packing for you.
- Get boxes and packing tape if you’re doing it yourself.
- Start packing out-of-season clothing and other items you won’t need right away.
- Fill out change-of-address cards at the post office.
- Notify friends, family, the bank and your insurance agent of your new address.
- Pre-order appliances, furniture, dishes and cutlery.
- Send a change-of-address email to any magazines you subscribe to.
- Make copies of important papers, such as birth certificates, passports, medical and dental records.
Three weeks before
- Arrange to have the utilities disconnected a few days after the move.
- Get the utilities set up at your new residence.
- Start packing room by room.
- Arrange for a babysitter on moving day if you need one.
- Reserve the freight elevator in your building for moving day if required.
One week before
- Open your new bank accounts if you’re making a long-distance move.
- Make sure you have enough medication to last through the move.
- Have your doctor write a new prescription you can fill after you move.
- Defrost the refrigerator two days before you move.
- Disconnect any appliances you’ll be taking with you.
- Make arrangements to pay the mover by certified cheque or cash.
- Drain gas and oil from any power equipment you’ll be moving.
- Finish packing and keep the vacuum handy!
Two weeks before
- Arrange to move plants and pets.
- Get rid of items you’re not allowed to move, such as gasoline and propane.
- Keep packing.
- Line up helpers to assist with loading your rental truck.
- Consider hiring a plumber or electrician to disconnect appliances you plan to move.
- Supervise the move.
- Strip beds.
- Ensure everything gets on the truck.
- Have the moving company disassemble furniture.
- Fill out the bill of lading.
- Pack a bag of first-night essentials, including a broom, dustpan, garbage bags and light bulbs.