8 Great Summer Moving Tips
8 Summer Moving Tips – Summer can be the busiest moving season. With weather that is mostly pleasant (and hot) many are prompted to move during the summer. It can be overwhelming, but if you make a moving plan it can make it much easier. Follow these 10 tips to make your move a smooth transition.
- Decide if you are moving with full serve, partial serve, or do-it-yourself. Make this decision based on your lifestyle, household size, budget, and the amount of time you have. It’s a good idea to get quotes from three licensed moving companies so you know you are getting the best deal. If you decide to do it yourself use packing calculators to make it easier to estimate the amount of boxes and packing materials you need.
- Plan to pack BEFORE you pack. Take pictures of your new home and make a plan for where your items go before you arrive with them. List out major items that need to be assembled first, as well as furniture. As you move it into the proper place, cross it off your list.
- Pack carefully and early! Be strategic. Try sorting your belongings into these categories: Donate, give to friends/family, recycle, trash, pack now, or keep ready for moving day. Do this as early as possible so you don’t get overwhelmed right before move in day!
- Plan ahead for moving day. It is not easy and no place for children. Set up childcare or a safe, designated spot for kids to play in the new home while you move. This way the kids stay safe and out of your hair during the move.
- Pets can also be difficult to handle when moving. Moving to a new home and having so much going on can be stressful for pets. So many people in and out can also provide opportunities for a pet to sneak out of the house. Consider sending your furry friends to pet daycare or to spend a day with a friend.
- Keep track of small parts. Many items need to be broken down into pieces to move. Some may suggest taping small screws and parts to the furniture. Instead, place these parts in a bag that is clearly labeled for where they belong. Pack all of these bags together in a box and personally take it with you to the new home, that way they can’t get replaced and make reassembly a breeze.
- Take pictures of electronic hook-ups. Before unplugging any wires for the move, take a picture of the connections, print them out and label them in detail. This will make it easier to quickly hook up your TV, DVD players, and game systems. Keep track of all loose wires using baggies or boxes that are clearly labeled for the device they belong to. Move these personally with you so you know exactly where they are when it’s time to relax from moving.
- Consider getting a full value insurance protection. If you are using a mover, it could cost a few extra dollars but it will give you peace of mind and assurance when moving. Investing in full value protection means any lost or damaged articles will be repaired or replaced, or a cash settlement will be made at current market value, regardless of age. It’s important to note that the required minimum coverage of 60 cents per pound would not cover the replacement cost of more expensive items such as a flat screen TV if damaged in transit.
Use these helpful tips to ensure your move goes smoothly and easily. What are your best summer moving tips?